1. Shao X, Murphy SJ, Lynd LR. (2020) Characterization of reduced carbohydrate solubilization during Clostridium thermocellum fermentation with high switchgrass concentrations. Biomass and Bioenergy 139, 105623.
2. Liang X, Whitham JM, Holwerda EK, Shao X, Tian L, Wu Y-W, Lombard V, Henrissat B, Klingemann DM, Yang ZK, Podar M, Richard TL, Elkins JG, Brown SD, Lynd LR. (2018) Development and characterization of stable anaerobic thermophilic methanogenic microbiomes fermenting switchgrass at decreasing residence times. Biotechnology for Biofuels 11, 243.
3. Zhou J#, Shao X#, Olson DG, Murphy SJ, Tian L, Lynd LR. (2017) Determining the roles of the three alcohol dehydrogenases (AdhA, AdhB and AdhE) in Thermoanaerobacter ethanolicus during ethanol formation. Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology 44, 745757.
4. Zheng T, Olson DG, Murphy SJ, Shao X, Tian L, Lynd LR. (2016) Both adhE and a separate NADPH-dependent alcohol dehydrogenase (adhA) are necessary for high ethanol production in Thermoanaerobacterium saccharolyticum. Journal of Bacteriology. 199, e00542-16.
5. Tian L, Lo J, Shao X, Zheng T, Olson DG, Lynd LR. (2016) Identification of a ferredoxin: NAD+ oxidoreductase enzyme in Thermoanaerobacterium saccharolyticum and its role in ethanol formation. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 82, 7134–7141.
6. Shao X, Zhou J, Olson DG, Lynd LR. (2016) A markerless gene deletion and integration system for Thermoanaerobacter ethanolicus. Biotechnology for Biofuels 9, 100.
7. Shao X, DiMarco K, Richard TL, Lynd LR. (2015) Winter rye as a bioenergy feedstock: impact of crop maturity on composition, biological solubilization and potential revenue. Biotechnology for Biofuels 8,35
8. Archambault-Leger V, Shao X, and Lynd LR. (2014) Simulated performance of reactor configurations for hot-water pretreatment of sugarcane bagasse. ChemSusChem 7, 27212727.
9. St Brice LA, Shao X, Izquierdo JA, Lynd LR. (2014) Optimization of affinity digestion for the isolation of cellulosomes from Clostridium thermocellum. Preparative Biochemistry & Biotechnology 44, 206216.
10. Shao X, Lynd LR. (2013) Kinetic modeling of xylan hydrolysis in co- and countercurrent liquid hot water flow-through pretreatments. Bioresource Technology 130, 117124.
11. Archambault-Leger V, Shao X, Lynd LR. (2012) Integrated analysis of hot water flowthrough pretreatment. Biotechnology for Biofuels 5, 49.
12. Ellis LD, Holwerda EK, Hogsett D, Rogers S, Shao X, Tschaplinski T, Thorne P, and Lynd LR. (2012) Closing the carbon balance for fermentation by Clostridium thermocellum (ATCC 27405). Bioresource Technology 103, 293299.
13. Shao X, Raman B, Zhu M, Mielenz JR, Brown SD, Guss AM, and Lynd LR. (2011). Mutant selection and phenotypic and genetic characterization of ethanol-tolerant strains of Clostridium thermocellum. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 92, 641652.
14. Brown S.D., Guss AM, Karpinets TV, Parks JM, Smolin N, Yang S, Land ML, Klingeman DM, Bhandiwad A, Rodriguez M, Raman B, Shao X, Mielenz JR, Smith JC, Keller M, and Lynd LR. (2011) Mutant alcohol dehydrogenase leads to improved ethanol tolerance in Clostridium thermocellum. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 108, 1375213757.
15. Shao X, Jin M, Guseva A, Liu C, Balan V, Hogsett D, Dale B, Lynd L. (2011) Conversion for Avicel and AFEX pretreated corn stover by Clostridium thermocellum and simultaneous saccharification and fermentation: Insights into microbial conversion of pretreated cellulosic biomass. Bioresource Technology 102, 80408045.
16. Podkaminer K, Shao X, Hogsett D, Lynd L. (2011) Enzyme inactivation by ethanol and development of a kinetic model for thermophilic simultaneous saccharification and fermentation at 50°C with Thermoanaerobacterium saccharolyticum ALK2. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 108, 12681278.
17. Shao X, Lynd L, Bakker A, LaRoche R, and Wyman C. (2010) Reactor scale up for biological conversion of cellulosic biomass to ethanol. Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering 33485493.
18. Shao X, Lynd L, Wyman C, Bakker A. (2009) Kinetic modeling of cellulosic biomass to ethanol via simultaneous saccharification and fermentation: Part I. Accommodation of intermittent feeding and analysis of staged reactors. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 102, 5965.
19. Shao X, Lynd L, Wyman C. (2009) Kinetic modeling of cellulosic biomass to ethanol via simultaneous saccharification and fermentation: Part II. Experimental validation using waste paper sludge and anticipation of CFD analysis. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 102, 6672.
20. Zhang J, Shao X, Townsend O, Lynd L. (2009) Simultaneous saccharification and co-fermentation of paper sludge to ethanol by Saccharomyces cerevisiae RWB222 - Part I: Kinetic modeling and parameters. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 104, 920931.
21. Zhang J, Shao X, Lynd L. (2009). Simultaneous saccharification and co-fermentation of paper sludge to ethanol by Saccharomyces cerevisiae RWB222 - Part II. Investigation of discrepancies between predicted and observed performance at high solid concentration. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 104, 932938.